Wednesday, Oct. 22nd
Orangeburg, SC to Charleston, SC  113 miles
The big day finally arrived, for it all was quickly coming to an end. The actual 113 mile ride was very nondescript, with the vast majority of it either taking place on flat rural roads with nothing around but trees and cotton fields or on the shoulder of very busy highways that scared the hell out of me. Once we started approaching Charleston, the adrenaline started to really flow, especially when we hit the last couple of miles to the Atlantic Ocean. The last 300 yards was actually going down a sidewalk that led to the beach and I was the first person to round the final corner to see all of our loved ones cheering and the ocean in plain view. It was a Kodak moment that will always remain with me. After taking the ceremonial pictures of dipping the front tire in the ocean and holding the bike overhead while standing in the water, the celebration began. We had a fabulous happy hour, which included a great slide show of the trip and dinner with all the spouses. Given the day's event, everyone was tired both physically and emotionally and retired to bed early. Tomorrow there is a farewell brunch to say your good byes before everyone departs.

FINAL STATISTICS
Total distance: 3341 miles
Average daily speed: 16.2 mph
Average daily distance: 95.5 miles
Consecutive days of 100 miles or more: 5
21 days of 90 miles or more
26 days of 80 miles or more
Longest day: 144 miles
Total climbing elevation: 166,000 feet
Greatest single day climbing elevation: 11,082 feet


FINAL THOUGHTS
One of the major reasons I did this trip was to challenge myself both physically and mentally like never before. I started training in November, spending countless hours in the gym lifting weights, doing thousands of crunches, cardio machines and spinnning classes. Once the weather allowed me to start riding, I spent every Friday, Saturday and Sunday riding, in addition to the short rides I would do during the week wherever my business travels took me. I logged approximately 3300 miles. Not only has this undertaking forced me to get into the best shape of my life, but it has made me more disciplined and improved my mental toughness and self confidence.

99% of the trip were places I had never been to and at an average speed of 16.2 mph, one really benefits in seeing how beautiful and diverse this great nation is. It certainly reinvigorated my patriotism and how truly fortunate we are to live in the good old USA.

Finally, I save the most important thought for last. I am, without any doubt, the luckiest guy in the world to have a wife that not only provided unrelenting support throughout the whole ordeal, but who strongly encouraged me to consider it because she knew it was high on my "bucklist". It was she who came home from the Trek store with the brochure and said "you have my full and total support should you decide to go". She was always there to support me in every possible way. From getting up at 5:30 every Saturday and Sunday to make sure I ate well before my long training rides, to having a meal ready upon my return. She insisted that my indoor bike trainer be positioned in the family room all winter so she could visit with me. It became like another piece of furniture that was even decorated for Christmas. Through all this, she never so much whimpered any type of complaint, but instead, provided constant encouragement that kept me going through the tough times. Quite frankly, without her, this once in a lifetime journey would never have become a reality. For all that she has done, I am forever grateful and indebted to her. Thank you very, very much Susan.